Event has already taken place!
Shocking Double Lives of Iconic Gay Artists
Join us for a virtual Zoom talk that will reveal the scandalous double lives of iconic gay artists – from
About this Event
Can’t make the live event? Buy a ticket for the recording and enjoy the talk in your own time!
While many gay artists had double lives, this talk will focus on iconic artists who created mainstream work, which they showed openly, as well as provocative gay work, which they hid or destroyed. An hour-long virtual talk by Ignacio Darnaude, creator of the upcoming documentary series HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT – BREAKING THE GAY CODE IN ART, who will reveal stunning examples of how these artists’ complex sexuality had a crucial impact on their life and work. We guarantee that you’ll never see them with the same eyes again.
Some of the highlights of this Zoom tour include:
- CARAVAGGIO revolutionized religious painting by portraying young male models chosen by his patron, a Cardinal, who showed them to his intimate friends, creating the first queer network in history.
- LORD LEIGHTON: One of the most important Victorian artists, a “bachelor” who created blatantly homoerotic images coded in classical, religious and mythological themes.
- JOHN SINGER SARGENT painted countless sensual male nudes in secret while he became the most important portrait artist of his generation.
- FRIDA KAHLO and TAMARA DE LEMPICKA were openly bisexual, capturing some of their lovers in their paintings.
- DUNCAN GRANT England’s most important painter in the 30’s got forgotten for, supposedly, not having evolved in his style and imagery. His explicit, inter-racial, erotic works went public at the end of his life.
- ANDY WARHOL started his career with openly homoerotic work, which he discarded and disavowed when he started acquiring fame.
Plus so much more!
Ignacio Darnaude is a writer- film producer based in Los Angeles. After a 25 career in Hollywood’s studio system as a producer and marketing executive, he left his positions as Head of International Marketing for Disney and Sony to pursue a passion project, bringing to life the documentary series “HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT – BREAKING THE GAY CODE IN ART”.
Finding out that many Museum boards are very conservative and reject discussions and exhibitions around gender identity, he launched into a decade-long research process which uncovered an extraordinary story, which has been hidden until now to both the heterosexual and gay communities. His findings will shatter the belief that still exists among the general population and the majority of the art world that same-sex desire is just a footnote in art history and that an artist’s homosexuality is irrelevant to his/her work.
His Zoom talk, will reveal some highlights from his docuseries. It will explain the creative ways and codes used by gay artists to express their same-sex desire during repressive times, and how, in fighting oppression, they revolutionized all visual arts, survived scandals, won landmark battles, spearheaded art movements and transformed mainstream culture every step of the way.
When will the Zoom invite come?
The Zoom invite will be in the CONFIRMATION EMAIL from your order AND it will be sent to your email address at 48hrs, 2hrs, and 10mins before the event. PLEASE CHECK YOUR SPAM AND SOCIAL FOLDERS IF YOU DO NOT SEE THE ZOOM INVITE IN YOUR INBOX. If you do not receive a Zoom invitation by 1hr before the event please get in contact with us.
What time zone is the event scheduled in?
The event is scheduled for 2pm EST (i.e. New York time). You can watch it in any time zone but please adjust to the time zone you are in.
Will the event be recorded and available to view later?
Yes the event will be recorded and you can buy a ticket for the recording above. If you buy a ticket for the recording you will be emailed automatically after the event with a link to the recording, available to view for 1 week after receiving the link. If you bought a ticket for the live event but couldn’t make it please email us and we will send you the link to the recording.
Refunds are available up to the start time of the event. After the start time, refunds are only available if you have been unable to access the event.
(Sunday) 11:00 am - 12:15 pm(GMT-11:00)
Virtual Event Details